Tuesday, September 2, 2008

loner-hood my old friend



I don't like meeting new people.

No, actually I just don't like greeting new people. You know, the polite verbal groping around in the social darkness, trying to find a commonality to talk about, "what do you do, where are you from, what is your major, i like your tattoo, you have ten fingers, ME TOO!" I hate that. Especially if you don't happen upon something by the time you run out of questions and there is just the strained silence as you both look around the room praying some other uncomfortable loaner will join you and they hey can be your commonality.

So most days i just choose not do it. And today was one of those days.

I enter the ridiculously over crowded lunch room.
Fill my plate with copious amounts of food, all having something to do with cheese for some reason.
Sit down in an empty table (which is of-course in the middle of the room)
and pull out my oldest of friends, a book.

It was about 30 minutes into stuffing my mouth with food and my mind with knowledge that i had a realization...

"If i were behind the library and 30lbs heavier, it would be high school." And I smiled to myself...I was so cool in highschool.

-mike

No comments: